If you are searching for the answer to, “What Is SEO?” this post should help! Here we explain what SEO is and what it can be used for.
What Is SEO? Search Engine Optimization
- A great way to market new products and services
- A chance to change what the internet knows about your industry
- Your chance to get your products and services in front of potential customers who are already looking for what you offer
- An investment that will take at least 6 months or more to see any type of ROI
- Totally worth the investment when you are with a company that actually does the work and gets you traffic
- SEO can also be a questionable industry due to so many SEOers offering services that don’t work
Whenever I mention SEO, people always ask, what is SEO? SEO stands for “search engine optimization“. Search engine optimization is the process of optimizing your website or landing page for Google’s search engine.
How Does SEO Work?
Whenever you add new content to your website and index it into Google’s search engine. Google now has a record of that text to use when people are searching for products, services or just information in General on Google search. Whenever Google lines up the search with the text on your website, Google shows your listing or website to the user and offers them to click on it to visit your website or call your business. The only way your listing or website will show up is if you have the right SEO elements on your website and Google maps listing.
What Do I Need To Have On My Website For Google To Show Me?
All you need to have on your website is content, pictures, videos, the right headings, the right links, the right page structure, the right page speed and more. You don’t just learn this stuff overnight. It takes years of watching what works and what doesn’t. I personally have ran thousands of experiments, gained rankings, lost rankings, got banned from Youtube lol and more. You never know what you can and can’t do until you’ve done it. These days now that its not only my site that is at risk I don’t take as many risks but you get the point. This is a trial and error game and what works for some sites may not work for others but most general SEO strategies remain the same.
- Create new content that is relevant and competitive enough for Google to notice
- Promote that content with social signals and other types of backlinks that shows Google the content is popular
- Let users come in, comment, interact with the content and give Google a chance to grade your Click through rate, time on site, how fast your pages load and more to give you a final score and rank you accordingly
What Can SEO Be Used For?
SEO can be used for a bunch of different purposes but mainly people use it for traffic to their website. SEO is a great way for people to find you vs you putting out flyers, postcards etc trying to get people to buy your products or services. The whole point of SEO is to receive qualified traffic to your website that has intent on receiving what your offering.
With the right content strategies, almost any type of business can rank on Google and increase sales on their products and services they offer.
Where Does All Of This SEO Traffic Come From?
The traffic comes from the 1000’s of people who are searching Google for products and services in your local area. People use the internet to find local products and services today more than ever before. There are tons of local businesses in your area who are already listed on Google and receiving tons of new customers every month because they decided to build a website, get a Google listing and Get SEO Services. An SEO expert can help you put the right keywords on your Google listing and website to make people be able to find you easier.
How Does Google Know To List My Website?
Google search engine uses an algorithm to look for a couple of different things in order to list a website or a listing in the results when a person types in a specific set of keywords. The geographically show potential customers your business listing if there are searching for a product or service like you offer. Although, you have to have your business category set up correctly and have the right website content or Google won’t even know that you offer that product or service and will choose not to show your listing or website.
What Are Keywords?
Keywords are what internet user’s type into Google’s search engine when they are looking for a product or service. For example, if a user was looking for the best SEO Company in Phoenix, Arizona, they would type in “best SEO company in phoenix AZ” into the search engine and would be presented with the results that Google feels would satisfy the needs of the searcher. SEO is simply optimizing a business person’s website to be the best possible result for a certain set of keywords. If you were a plumber in Phoenix it would be the same idea, people would either type in “plumber near me” or “plumber phoenix”.
How do SEO companies find the right keywords for a particular business?
They find the right keywords by using Google’s keyword planner or Keyword Rank Checker. The keyword planner allows you to type in any set of keywords or phrases and the planner will tell you how many times those keywords or phrases are typed into the search engine every month. You can type in any variation of keywords and the planner will also bring up keywords or phrases that are similar to the one’s you are typing in. This is the best way to find out what kind of lingo users are using when looking for a certain type of product or service.
What does Google’s algorithm look for?
The main things that Google is looking for when ranking your website are titles, keyword density, and backlinks. The tile of your website needs to have your keywords in them. Let’s say a search engine optimization company wants to rank for the term “Best SEO Company”, the title of the webpage or post that is being optimized should start out with those keywords. Like the example above, “best SEO Company in Phoenix AZ”.
The next step would be implementing those keywords within the content or text of the webpage or post. The keyword density, which means, how many times that keyword is stated within the text, usually needs to be around 2-4 percent in order for Google to see that it is relevant. Don’t add the keywords too few times or too many because Google will see you as either a spammer or not relevant enough.
Backlinks are simply links from other sites that are related to your business. For example, let’s say we want to make a blog post about SEO because we are trying to build a backlink to an SEO website. We would construct a blog post that has the SEO related keywords in it and we would put the link of the website that we are trying to build the backlink to within the text of that blog post.
- Google will then read that blog post and discover that the post you created is related to the website and both of them have similar keywords in them. Now, you can just link from any website, it has to be a high quality site with at least a PR 2 or better and that’s the hardest part. Not every site allows you to build links that point to other sites. Research how to build backlinks if you want to know more about this topic.
- SEO is simply a way of connecting searchers to products or services they are looking for. If you can make your titles, keywords, and backlinks relevant to a user’s search, you will rank highly in Google’s search engine and people will be able to find you when they are looking for a particular product or service that is related to your business. Hopefully, this post was able to answer your question, “what is SEO?